Island Panthera is my first Arma island project and its been constantly updated since first release and is now available for Arma2. It is actually a real-life map of NorthWest Slovenia, but of course resized due to hardware limitations back in 2009. I've dreamt of an island that many ArmA 2 players could enjoy, along with my team of dedicated mil-sim gamers. I put on my yellow working helmet, rolled up sleeves and started building and building and building, until my dream become a reality. It took, time, energy and a lot of dedication but after three months I've succeeded - its here: Island Panthera v2!
What is Panthera?Name Panthera itself comes from Slovenian history of "black panther" crest and the map itself is based on the real height data of Slovenia's Northwest part in Europe - named Gorenjska Region. "Gora" in Slovenian means mountain and Gorenjska region (represented in Panthera) certainly lives up to its name being home to most of Slovenia’s biggest mountains, including the highest of them all – Triglav (three heads) standing at an impressive 2,865 metres. The Julian Alps and the beautiful Triglav National Park are the main features of the region – offering not just outstanding scenery, but a wealth of plant and animal life and an abundance of outdoor activities. It is also home to the unforgettable lakes Bled and Bohinj. It is almost impossible to decide which one you prefer – Serene Bohinj and its majestic mountain setting or fairytale Bled with its seventeenth century church on an island overlooked by a castle perched on a rocky outcrop.
Story goes... massive climate changes rocked the entire world and heavy ocean flooding left only numerous islands. Panthera is luckly one of them, but people didn't unite in this disaster - army is able to protect only major towns, villages form their own protection squads and neighbouring countries (in order to survive) invade the last island between newly formed sea. Armor is scarce, but four airports serve as an air bridge for more equipment and weapons...
Interesting Facts* Gorenjska region is in fact NW part of Slovenia in Europe and in RL it isn't an island, of course.
* due to heavy real-life vegetation and gameplay issues author' had to resize a sector of ~40x40 klicks (kilometers) down to 10km x 10km terrain, quite enough for a small infantry operation supported by light armor and choppers. Of course jets and heavy armor can be used too but it requires a lot of skill and tactics in such harsh terrain. Large mountains and deadly valleys can be tough even for the most experienced fighters. Roads are basically only way to travel around (except air transport), but dense vegetation and many chokepoints can be fatal for a single vehicle or even an armoured convoy, not to mention Panthera's terrain layout can be fatal even for an experienced pilot. Therefor recommended way of travel is tabbing a.k.a. by foot.
* first plan has been to create an entire Slovenia (of course resized to ArmA), but too many details were lost on mountain ranges. Slovenia is very similiar to other European countries with vast forests, several rivers, lakes and lush vegetation.
* real-life counterpart towns in the area had to be resized to small villages, couple of them listed here: Radovljica, Bled, Jesenice, Mojstrana, Kranjska Gora, Kobarid, Tolmin, Bohinjska Bela, etc. Map now features over than 60 settlements/places, of course much smaller than real life counterpart.
* texture is based on 10240x10240 composite of various satellite images and photoshopped in couple of places.
* there are four airports present: - Lesce (real one is cessna/soaring plane capable, but in-game runway is the sake of gameplay paved and much bigger, so fighters & transport planes can use it)
- Bovec (real one, small for mainly helicopter operations or for very very daring pilots)
- Arnoldstein (fake one, Arnoldstein doesn't have one in RL, but this one has been added for better gameplay and mission makers' ideas coming to life. It supplies Tarvisio on SW. Its also the biggest airport with a long runway. - Smugglers (another fake one, this one stands in the desert and locals use it for smuggling operations in and out of the island), supplies the Town of Skooma.
* Almost everything exists in the real World. But there are couple of fictional (FAKE) areas added to improve gameplay. One of them is a desert part on the SouthEast and entire Northern Sector (Austrian Coast) is also fictional with tropical vegetation and small villages, not to forget a fictional racing track
* all roads are based on real-life data and cover all sectors of the map.
* first try to explore the island by positioning your squad on one of the four airports and launch vehicle and air patrols from there. Don't forget to visit highest peak Triglav or a skijump in Planica
Special thanks: Sgt.Ace, Kju, Flossy, Nicholas Bell, Foxhound for all the help. And Linkin Park for great music I'm been listening during all the hours of work ;) And last but not at least: to Bohemia Interactive Studio crew for making ArmA series and their continuous support and dedication!
- Created by: IceBreakr
- Special thanks: PeterGrozni (ideas, feedback), Randy (normal mapping)
- Objects & Configs: Maj Z. (Aljaz Tower object)
- Sgt.Ace (Clutter & Plant configs)
- Kju (configs, help)
- Mikero (configs, tools, help)
- Testing & bugreports: SBP Team, Monsieur, Sgt.Ace